The First Schools
The first public elementary school in West View, created in 1904, was a one-room schoolhouse located at 131 Ridgewood Avenue, and was under the supervision of the Ross Township School Board. West View eventually created its own school board and opened its own school, Oakwood School, in 1905. Due to continued population growth, Highland School was opened in 1909.
Before 1925, students had to pay tuition to go to high school outside of West View. Residents wanted a public high school to be built, and eventually construction began on West View Junior High School. It was built on the site of the Donegal Inn on the corner of Chalfonte Avenue and Perry Highway in 1925. It was one of the first schools in the country to house grades 7, 8, and 9. Extensions were made in 1934 and 1938 to make room for grades 10, 11, and 12. In 1938 the school was renamed West View Senior High School. The graduating class of 1939 was just 120 seniors.
West View High Field began as a Great Depression era project. The Works Progress Administration started work on the field in 1940, but was interrupted when World War II began. Construction resumed in 1949, and the field house was completed for the 1950-51 school year. The field name was changed to North Hills Field and changed again in 1968-69 to Martorelli Field to honor North Hills’ football coach Mario Martorelli.
North Hills School Jointure
By the late 1940s, there was a push to start consolidating school districts (if you already read the West View Park page, you know that school district consolidations across the area had an impact on park attendance). At the time, Ross and West View had two separate school districts with their own school boards. In 1948, they formed the North Hills School Jointure, with a single administration but kept the two separate school boards. As the population continued to increase, the need for a bigger high school became apparent. In 1957, construction began on the North Hills Senior High School, which held grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. Construction was completed in January 1959. On July 1, 1965, the jointure ended and it was renamed to North Hills School District. In 1972, North Hills Intermediate High School was built next to the existing high school. It held grades 8 and 9. Eventually the intermediate school would become the high school and the high school would become the junior high school.
West View Schools End
In 1983, Ridgewood, Oakwood, and Highland Elementary schools were closed. Kids were moved to West View Elementary, which had previously been the junior high school. The old elementary schools became apartment buildings.
unfinished construction of West View High Field, April 8, 1941
Oakwood School, circa 1950s
Ridgewood School, circa 1950s
Highland School, circa 1950s
West View Senior High School, circa 1950s