As the Venango Trail grew and turned into the Plank Road and later Perry Highway, more and more were traveling north out of Pittsburgh. The need for lodging grew. Inns, hotels, and taverns along the road became prominent aspects of the community. Many of these inns were located in present-day West View, including the Four Mile House, Keating Tavern, West View Hotel, Five Mile House, and Donegal Inn.

The West View Hotel was located near the corner of the Perrysville Plank Road and Cemetery Lane. It also featured a horse racetrack. The Borough of West View gets its name from this hotel.

Donegal was Fred Schwitter’s original home before the construction of Schwitter Mansion. It was located at the corner of the Perrysville Plank Road and Chalfonte Avenue, on the current site of West View Elementary.

The Keating Tavern was roughly a quarter of a mile north of the Four Mile House and across the road from the West View Hotel. It was built in 1870 and run by Joe Keating. It was equipped with a large fenced enclosure where drovers could pen their herds of cattle, sheep, and pigs. The drovers could then stop for a meal or stay the night. The Keating Tavern was one of the most well-known taverns in the Pittsburgh area. Joe Keating’s chicken and waffle suppers were famous. His dining hall served even more famous people, including the likes of Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick.

The Four Mile House was built by Peter Ivory, Sr. in 1819, on the corner of Franklin Road and (what became known as) Ivory Avenue. Its name is due to the fact that it was four miles north of the city of Pittsburgh. In its day, the house was always busy and served many travelers.

Four Mile House, 1940

Keating Tavern

West View Hotel

Inns, Taverns, and Hotels

The Five Mile House, built in 1830, was located near the intersection of Franklin Road and Bellevue Road. It was just slightly north of the Blind tollgate.

Five Mile House

Donegal Inn

The Five Mile House, built in 1830, was located near the intersection of Franklin Road and Bellevue Road. It was just slightly north of the Blind tollgate.

Five Mile House