with the Allegheny-Bellevue Land Company. Soon, Martsolf found the place where he could implement his "new century" vision of suburban life.
Martsolf was enamored by the West View area. He built 50 houses in the area and gathered support from residents and the Allegheny-Bellevue Land Company. His vision for the community included modern transportation, police and fire protection, water and sewer systems, streets, and laws. By the end of 1904, the Land Company had bought over 700 acres of land, which covered one square mile to develop. On March 20, 1905, West View Borough was incorporated, with Martsolf being elected as the president of the first seven-member Borough council. Martsolf built a house for his family at 212 Martsolf Avenue and was influential in the organization of the First Presbyterian Church of West View. Unfortunately, Martsolf would not get to see the great community West View would become. He died suddenly on December 4, 1907. His death left a large gap in the Borough leadership. The street where he built his home was later renamed Martsolf Avenue in his honor. He is now known as the "Father of West View."
Frederick Christian Martsolf was born in Butler, Pennsylvania in 1848. He served two years in the Civil War before moving west, where he spent the next 24 years in Arizona working as a successful building contractor. He eventually returned to Pittsburgh and joined a contracting firm with two of his brothers and his three oldest sons. Between 1897 and 1904, he bought and developed more than 50 properties in McKees Rocks, Stowe, Chartiers, Bellevue, and Ross, often working
Frederick Christian Martsolf (1848-1907)