Barnabas Hiland was another early settler. He moved into the West View/Ross in 1794, shortly after the land was opened to settlement, and established a farm. The following year, he died from exposure to the elements. After his death, his family moved onto the land. In 1808, his widow, Martha Hiland applied for her husband’s patent for depreciation lands. Her application was approved in August 1809. Much of this land became a part of West View.